- 48 miles wide in the wet season!
- 300,000 cubic metres of fresh water discharged into The Atlantic Ocean every second (in the wet season)
- the second longest river in the world after The Nile. Length approx 6400km.
- it’s mouth is 325km wide, which is greater than the length of The River Thames in England.
- more than 20% of the fresh water entering the world’s oceans comes from The Amazon.
- home to the world’s largest water lily, Victoria amazonica (see photo below courtesy of http://www.guyanatimesinternational.com)